How to Use a Face Serum and What It Does for Your Skin
- May 26, 2020
- Haley Walden
There are two important reasons to use a face serum, particularly one that contains phytocannabinoids from cannabis:
1. Cannabis-based serums are able to penetrate multiple epidermis layers and bind with your skin’s natural endocannabinoid receptors, providing the most intensive, effective results.
2. What distinguishes most face serums from other types of moisturizers is that they have a high concentration of active ingredients. They’re more powerful and potent — the superheroes of your skincare routine.
The ultimate in self-care for your skin, clean plant-based face serums can moisturize, smooth fine lines, brighten and balance skin tone, boost collagen, and protect against air pollution and environmental toxins.
Let’s look at how to use serum, plus a few reasons why you should be using a serum that incorporates cannabis oil.
Skin serums are trending — for good reason — and come in many formulations. Some are water based, others oil based; some are made entirely of synthetic ingredients, others are 100% natural, and some are a mix of both. Many focus on a specific active ingredient, such as vitamin C or retinol, others tout a wide variety of active botanicals, and some are a combination of both.
Choose your formulation based on your skin’s needs and whether it’s important to you that your products are proven safe and earth-friendly.
To apply your serum effectively, first cleanse and tone, then:
1. Add serum to your palms and rub them together to warm it up — this is important as it preps the serum to fully absorb into your skin.
2. Gently press into your face, neck, and chest. For a bonus calming effect, hold your palms to your nose, breathe in and enjoy!
1. To get the most out of your serum, use it both morning and night.
2. You may need to experiment to find just the right amount; start small and add to find your serum sweet spot.
3. If your skin tends toward dry, apply your normal moisturizer first, then your serum — this will seal in the moisturizer.
4. If your skin tends toward oily: apply your serum first, directly on naked skin.
5. Get creative: Some people add their serum to their moisturizer and apply them together; others mix the serum in their hands with a hydrosol or face mist to make an instant emulsion before applying to the face. We like to add individual actives like hyaluronic acid while applying our serum. You do you!
Lastly, some serum formulations can replace moisturizer; the choice to use both completely depends on your skin type and what works best for you. Moisturizer can help seal in your serum, so using a clean, non-toxic formulation is a good idea.
Cannabis oil all by itself is an amazing ingredient to include in your skincare. Rich in CBD, THC, CBG, and other powerful cannabinoids and terpenes, cannabis oil has proven healing properties, specifically for the skin.
Cannabis face serum that contains both CBD and THC helps to regulate the skin’s natural oil production and repair free radical damage. In addition to preventing and reversing environmental damage and visible signs of aging, cannabis oil also has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antimicrobial properties.
Other active ingredients, such as vitamin C and organic plant essential oils can maximize and complement the healing power of cannabis. Like cannabis, essential oils also contain powerful terpenes and have healing properties. Combining all these incredible plant-derived ingredients in a potent serum means you’re getting the full benefits of the entourage effect, and then some.
At Green Bee Botanicals, we offer two powerful, non-psychoactive cannabis serums for glowing, healthy skin.
We select specific phytonutrients for normal-to-dry skin for our Renewing Serum that moisturize deeply, brighten and balance skin tone, smooth fine lines, repair sun damage, and stimulate collagen. If you’re looking for a hydrating, protective formula, this serum is your new go-to. And it's 98% organic and smells amazing. Key ingredients:
Our Perfecting Serum is a Hail Mary (Jane) for acne-prone skin for normal-to-oily skin. It's packed with anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-fungal, and soothing botanicals that clear blemishes, calm redness, balance skin tone, stimulate collagen, and protect against air pollution. It's 97.4% organic and already has a cult following. Key ingredients:
Clean, California cannabis, including CBD and THC in a 15:1 ratio plus cannabigerol (CBG and CBGa)
A stable skin-brightening form of vitamin C, vitamin E, jojoba and apricot kernel oil, and soothing essential oils (tea tree clary sage, rose, and others)
To try out our serums for yourself, find a store selling our cannabis-infused skincare products here on our website. Since the products are cannabis-infused, they can only be sold to adults 21 and over, and only within California.
Summer 2020 we will be launching new products available nationwide, so stay tuned!